Restoring image links from imported iBlog entries

I just restored the image links for the old entries that originally were posted with iBlog.

After exporting the iBlog entries using Agitprop and importing them in a local WordPress install using MAMP (or WAMP) – Bruce Mc Kenzie has a very good write up on this process on his blog – the image links pointed to localhost. This meant they showed fine on the local computer.

Upon importing the entries into a live WordPress blog, those links are not updated however and the images not imported. The typical result is no image is displayed and/or a blue question mark square in the entry:

Two things are going on:

1) the images are not present in WordPress

2) the paths to the images inside the entries are incorrect

There has to be an easier way to fix this outside of opening iBlog and a 3rd party offline WordPress client (can’t be done online, as images need to be uploaded) simultaneously; and copy/pasting entry data between the two.

Each problem actually has an easy fix and can be done online or offline in your MAMP/WAMP environment.

Step 1: Add iBlog images to the WordPress installation

iBlog has the following folder structure. Images are buried several levels deep.

Which would give you a serious workout if you were to manually retrieve those images.

Using FileJuicer (MacUpdate, Homepage) you can extract all the images in one step. In the Preferences, select the images file types you wish to extract (generally GIF and JPG) and in the results designate a destination folder. Deselect thumbnails as those are not needed. Drag and drop your Sites > iBlog > Bxxxxxxxxx folder over to the FileJuicer window and it will do all the heavy lifting for you.

In the result folder there will likely be some category icons and maybe some other files you know you will not need on the new blog. So delete those.

Time to upload the rest of the extracted files to your WordPress blog.

You may know that WordPress stores images in dated year and month folders, which would pose a problem. But, the old iBlog entries we imported have an image path without dates; so we can just simply upload all iBlog extracted images to one folder. To keep things neat and tidy I decided on a subfolder /iblog under uploads.

Using FTP I created iblog under uploads.

And copied all extracted images over.

That concludes step 1.

Step 2: Correct the image paths of imported iBlog entry images

Manually this would be another one of those repetitive nightmare things.

Fortunately we can use a super handy Search and Replace plugin. (WordPress extend directory, Plugin Developer Homepage)

Download the plugin, copy it to the WordPress plugin directory on your server and activate it in your WordPress environment.

Safety note: There is no undo with this plugin. So, make sure you have a backup of your WordPress installation and database and familiarize yourself with how you may have to restore it in case things don’t go as planned. The fact that this Search and Replace function worked fine for me doesn’t guarantee it does for everybody or that one can’t make a mistake in using it.

With that out of the way, let’s have a look at the path of working image link, which we can do via view source on the site itself and in HTML view inside the WordPress:

And the path of a broken iBlog image link:

We know we uploaded the images to uploads > iblog in my case and so we can do the following replacement using the Search and Replace plugin.

Select the top option to search and replace inside Content.

And set the path to reflect that of your iblog images on your server installation.

Seconds later it will say it performed the action successfully. And, voila, the images are present in the old iBlog entries :)

7 Comments

  1. I moved from iBlog to Bloxsom to RapidWeaver and finally to WordPress. I’ve been able to move entries from each system but comments are still stuck in Haloscan.

  2. I’ve developed a script to move my blog from iBlog 2 to WordPress, that fixes images and internal links and even keeps references to Haloscan comments. That said, I’ve made very little attempt to make my script universal. Still, if there’s an iBlog 2 user out there besides me, this could be useful, and I’d be happy to provide tech support (he says, confident that almost no one needs the software).

    The gory details are on my old iBlog site at http://homepage.mac.com/vikingjs/iblog/C624384452/E20090309162437/index.html

    My new site is still in the Very Ugly stage.

  3. Hi Jerry,
    That is great news. I have been waiting to hear back from Sarat for the iBlog 2 Exporter. I certainly know a few iBlog2 users who would be interested in your script. I will get in touch with you.

  4. per your suggestion I have tossed up the iBlog Survivors Forum over at Jer’s Software Hut. Nothing special really, and I haven’t put much there, but it will be the best place to find my info about porting iBlog 2, and might server as a focal point for the scattered remains of iBlogdom.

    Spread the word!

  5. Thank you very very much for this! I wasn’t sure if I am to put the whole path or only the relative one and your tutorial helped me very much.

  6. Glad this post was able to help you out, Andrei, and thank you for your comment :)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *